Skip to content

International Travel and Health Insurance

Utah State University has contracted with International SOS to provide travel assistance services and ACE to provide international travel accident and sickness insurance for the university community traveling abroad on university business or sponsored activities. (NOTE: ISEP, ISA/GlobaLinks and most other program providers will provide students with a comprehensive insurance plan. Check to see if your program provides insurance.) Please see the USU Risk Management Services website for more details.

While the USU International SOS and ACE program provides coverage for emergency accidents and sickness you may experience while traveling abroad, it is important to remember that this insurance is NOT the health insurance you may be used to and does not cover routine care. Your personal insurance coverage may have provisions for routine care while traveling. You should check with your individual insurance provider to best understand what routine care coverage you may have. 

Understand—and communicate—any health requirements you have before finalizing your abroad program plans and/or housing arrangements. This means allergies, dietary requirements, disabilities, and any other medical or educational assistance. Students who require special services study abroad successfully all the time, though resources and services for people with special needs vary widely by country and region. If you have been using services here at home to address those needs, make sure you understand ahead of time exactly what assistance can or will be available. In some cases, your needs may determine which program is suitable for you. Feel free to make an appointment with a study abroad advisor if you have any questions regarding medical or educational assistance. 

It is important to educate yourself on health-related matters about your host country. For example, what is the closest modern medical facility with English speaking staff? Is the tap water safe to drink? Should I be concerned with food safety? What are the host countries laws concerning importing medications and prescription drugs? To find the answer to these questions, you can check out the below links:

U.S. Department of State Country Information
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention