Skip to content

Travel, Passport and Visa Information


Travel arrangements will depend on your study abroad program. Some programs make the arrangements for you, others require students to be responsible for booking travel. Check with your program and talk with your USU study abroad advisor if you have any questions. 


All students participating on a study abroad program must have a passport that is valid for the duration of the program abroad. Some countries require passports to be valid for up to 6 months after the date of entry. Students are responsible for determining entry and exit requirements for the location of their study abroad program. 

If you do not yet have a passport, plan to apply early. For the most current information, waiting times and to obtain a printable application, please visit 


A visa is official permission from a country for you to visit. Obtaining a visa is your responsibility as a study abroad participant. The application process may take several weeks or months, so begin early.
Contact the embassy/consulate of your study abroad country to obtain the most up-to-date entry requirements. Some countries require a student or long-term stay visa, other countries do not. You will apply for a visa with the host country’s embassy/consulate located in the U.S. that has jurisdiction over the state of your permanent residency.
Click here for a list of the foreign embassies in the U.S.
Another resource for visa and entry requirements for most countries are the country handbooks published by ISEP, a USU third party program. You may also want to visit the U.S. Department of State: Bureau of Consular Affairs available from this link:
Depending on the host country, some visa applications may be completed online or through certified mail, while others must be completed in person. Please review application instructions carefully and prepare all required documentation in advance. Documentation that may be required for your visa includes:

  • a statement from the host institution that you have been accepted to study at the university
  • a statement from your home institution/Study Abroad program that fees have been paid
  • a bank statement reflecting sufficient financial resources to cover your stay
  • a financial aid award letter to show the funds you are to receive
  • a statement that you have accommodations in the host country
  • other host-specific documentation 

Be sure to make copies of your passport photo page and all documentation before you send to the embassy/consulate.